Saturday, May 15, 2010

Pioneer Woman’s Strawberry Shortcake Cake

If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a huge fan of Pioneer Woman.

She posted a recipe almost exactly one year ago that I’ve been waiting to try. You're probably thinking, "a year? seriously? why the delay?". Well, it is because it probably wouldn’t be too smart if I try out a cake recipe for just the fiancé and me...the leftovers would end up with one of us and we’d probably eat the whole thing. So I wait until an opportunity arrives that allows me to share.

This past Monday was our last session of pre-marriage class and we were having a little potluck to celebrate. What better way to celebrate than cake? Plus the strawberries have been so good lately. So I pulled out the Strawberry Shortcake Cake recipe from my growing list of awaiting recipes.

The cake is a pretty dense cake, which is good since it’s covered in strawberries and strawberry juices. Yep, each layer is covered in fresh strawberries, but it doesn’t end there.

(The cake and strawberries go into the freezer for a short amount of time before icing.)

Then, the cake and the strawberries are covered with cream cheese icing. I have to say, the icing is absolutely heavenly. It makes me want to bake a carrot cake or a spice cake just so I can have a reason to make this icing again. (I may have dipped some pretzels in the leftover icing and eaten them…I didn’t want to waste it!)

The entire cake is good and the class seemed to like it. As always, Pioneer Woman does not disappoint. Although, I think next time I might try converting the recipe into cupcakes, wouldn’t that be perfect for a summer BBQ? Yum!

Here is the link to the full recipe with all of Pioneer Woman’s wonderful step by step photos: Strawberry Shortcake Cake.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment