Monday, June 7, 2010

Salsa Chicken with Tortilla Black Beans & Rice – SUPER Easy

This is very similar to my Balsamic Chicken. What can I say, I like the ease of taking something simple (balsamic vinegar, salsa, salad dressing, etc.) and using it as-is for a marinade, it’s easy and tastes good.

For this one, I usually take about one cup of salsa (depending how many chicken breasts I’m cooking, but it’s usually 1-2) and let the chicken just soak it up. Again, the longer it marinates the better, but you can get away with 30-60 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes (or grill if you prefer).

For the super easy and quick dinner, serve this with some Spanish rice (this is actually one version of the Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice that I’m not a fan of, but if you don’t want to try making Spanish rice from scratch there are a variety of other easy mixes or pre-made options). I usually round out the meal with a salad, or some corn or some tortilla chips…whatever suits your mood.

Or you can serve this with my new Tortilla Black Beans & Rice; which is also pretty easy!


I really like salsa, so I make sure there is plenty of salsa on top of the chicken before I bake it.

Here's the recipe for my Tortilla Black Beans & Rice; I'll also be getting this new recipe posted up on Tasty Kitchen within a couple of days if you want a printer-friendly version to download.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tortilla Black Beans & Rice


1 bag Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Brown Rice (can substitute with any brown rice)
1 can low sodium black beans; rinsed and drained
1 cup (or more or less to your liking) of your favorite salsa (I used Pace Medium Salsa)
1 cup crushed tortilla chips (my favorite is blue corn tortilla chips)
Optional: low fat sour cream
Optional: 1/8 cup shredded cheese
Optional: Corn

Heat the beans up in a pot over low to medium heat. As they start warming up, add in the salsa. Cook the rice in the microwave according to package and then dump into the pot with the beans and salsa. Stir everything together and turn the burner to low heat to keep it warm until ready to serve.

Just before serving mix in the crushed tortilla chips. I actually mix the crushed chips into each serving so that if there are any leftovers the chips don’t get soggy; then I just add more crushed chips in when I reheat the leftovers.

I also like to add in a dab of low-fat sour cream and mix it all up, it adds a nice contrast to the salsa; but it is also very good without the sour cream.

I haven’t tried this yet, but you could also top the mixture with a pinch of shredded cheese just before serving or you could also mix in corn or mexicorn with the beans and rice.

Tortilla Black Beans & Rice pictured above before sour cream was added.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment