Sunday, September 19, 2010

Diet Crack

In college I drank A LOT of Diet Coke. I drank it for breakfast, I drank it with lunch, I drank it for a mid-afternoon energy boost, I drank it with dinner, and I drank it late at night studying or when I was out with friends. I generally wasn’t drinking just a couple of sips at a time either. Rarely was I without a Diet Coke.

There were also certain times that I drank more Diet Coke than usual; such as when I was stressed…although I didn’t even realize it.

On a trip to California that had a few unexpected situations (such as the airline losing half of our group’s flight reservations); my very good friend noted the following:

“Michelle, you reach for a Diet Coke when most smokers would reach for a cigarette. You’re addicted; it’s your Diet Crack.”

She was right. I can always count on her!

A short while later I decided I was going to quit Diet Crack, just to prove that I could. I’m happy to say that I did go without any Diet Crack for over a full year.

That was a few years ago. I have since re-allowed Diet Crack back into my beverage options, but I no longer drink anywhere near the amounts I used to.

From time to time it’s nice to have a refreshing Diet Coke; and some things just taste better with Diet Coke, like pizza. (Note: This is not an advertisement for Diet Coke, they have no idea who I am; I just really like Diet Coke.)

And from time to time, there are still occasions when I’m incredibly stressed that I may choose a Diet Coke over water. Or days when I may drink a little more Diet Coke than usual, like when the power goes out and I miss a conference call (which may have happened recently). But this does not happen nearly as often as I used to.

Although, it’s rarely called Diet Coke around me anymore…my friend’s phrase has caught on and it’s now affectionately referred to by most people in my life as Diet Crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment